Tap "WorldWire" above  to follow us





Parents have been urged to keep their children and teenagers away from TikTok after vision began circulating of a man committing suicide.


The app is still struggling to delete the graphic video, which features a 33-year-old man from the US taking his own life.


The disturbing video, which is too graphic to share, was originally live-streamed on Facebook before making its way to the video-sharing app early on Tuesday.


But on TikTok, snippets of the video are not only widely accessible but are even being recommended to users without warnings. 


A spokeswoman for TikTok confirmed the suicide video had been circulating.


She insisted the platform was doing all it could to remove the content in a timely matter.  


'Our systems have been automatically detecting and flagging these clips for violating our policies against content that displays, praises, glorifies, or promotes suicide,' she said.



'We are banning accounts that repeatedly try to upload clips, and we appreciate our community members who've reported content and warned others against watching, engaging, or sharing such videos on any platform out of respect for the person and their family.'


The app has a safety centre which has access to suicide hotlines for any users who were distressed by the footage. 


In spite of their efforts, the man's name was trending on TikTok Australia on Tuesday morning, as were several clips of young people who explained that they were traumatised after watching the video.


The video prompted Bellevue Hill Public School in Sydney's eastern suburbs to issue a warning letter to parents about the video on Tuesday.


'We strongly recommend that you also be extra vigilant with the supervision of your child's social media use until this content is removed,' the letter states.


'We have also received reports that trolls are using videos of puppies and kittens to lure children into see the video.'


Parents are urged to speak to their children if they have viewed the footage. 


Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk

\n

TikTok struggles to remove video of man committing suicide

Tap "WorldWire" above  to follow us





Parents have been urged to keep their children and teenagers away from TikTok after vision began circulating of a man committing suicide.


The app is still struggling to delete the graphic video, which features a 33-year-old man from the US taking his own life.


The disturbing video, which is too graphic to share, was originally live-streamed on Facebook before making its way to the video-sharing app early on Tuesday.


But on TikTok, snippets of the video are not only widely accessible but are even being recommended to users without warnings. 


A spokeswoman for TikTok confirmed the suicide video had been circulating.


She insisted the platform was doing all it could to remove the content in a timely matter.  


'Our systems have been automatically detecting and flagging these clips for violating our policies against content that displays, praises, glorifies, or promotes suicide,' she said.



'We are banning accounts that repeatedly try to upload clips, and we appreciate our community members who've reported content and warned others against watching, engaging, or sharing such videos on any platform out of respect for the person and their family.'


The app has a safety centre which has access to suicide hotlines for any users who were distressed by the footage. 


In spite of their efforts, the man's name was trending on TikTok Australia on Tuesday morning, as were several clips of young people who explained that they were traumatised after watching the video.


The video prompted Bellevue Hill Public School in Sydney's eastern suburbs to issue a warning letter to parents about the video on Tuesday.


'We strongly recommend that you also be extra vigilant with the supervision of your child's social media use until this content is removed,' the letter states.


'We have also received reports that trolls are using videos of puppies and kittens to lure children into see the video.'


Parents are urged to speak to their children if they have viewed the footage. 


Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk

\n

No comments:

Post a Comment