Hong Kong will stop all foreign tourist and transit arrivals to the city from Wednesday and ban the sale of alcohol at more than 8,000 bars and restaurants to contain the spread of the coronavirus, after a sudden spike in cases most of them imported threatened to derail its anti-epidemic efforts.


Making the announcement at a Monday afternoon press conference, Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said the ban on foreign arrivals would last 14 days, confirming an earlier Post report on the measure.


All non-Hong Kong residents who arrive at the airport will be barred entry, along with anyone from mainland China, Macau and Taiwan who has a recent travel history elsewhere.


Those arriving from Macau or Taiwan directly will be allowed in, but subject to quarantine orders, as has been the case for mainland arrivals for some weeks.


Lam said the government would amend the law to forbid 8,600 restaurants, bars and clubs that hold a liquor licence to sell alcohol. But she did not give a targeted effective date.


She said the measures were vital because of the recent imported cases of infection, as she also announced tougher penalties against those who flout mandatory quarantine orders or those under home-quarantine who remove their electronic bracelet to elude detection.


The move to ban tourists comes a day after Singapore announced

 it would no longer allow short-term visitors to enter from 11.59pm on Monday, following the decision of other countries to do the same.


On Monday, the reality of how inbound travellers could threaten the citys anti-epidemic efforts hit home when a doctor tasked with screening returning travellers at Hong Kong International Airport 

was among at least 10 people to have tested preliminarily positive

 for Covid-19.


The Department of Health employee, who had been working at the airport since March 16, was being treated at Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin.


She was mainly responsible for signing quarantine orders and asking travellers questions, a source said.


It was not immediately clear how she contracted the virus. If confirmed, she could be the first doctor in Hong Kong to have been infected while working in the city.


If Mondays positive tests are confirmed, they would take the city infection tally to 327, with four deaths.


Hong Kong reported a flurry of 44 cases on Sunday, the second-highest single-day spike since the outbreak began.



All Travelers to China: Mandatory 14-day Quarantine
New policies make foreigner work permit applications easier


\n

HK to ban tourists and alcohol sales at bars and restaurants




Hong Kong will stop all foreign tourist and transit arrivals to the city from Wednesday and ban the sale of alcohol at more than 8,000 bars and restaurants to contain the spread of the coronavirus, after a sudden spike in cases most of them imported threatened to derail its anti-epidemic efforts.


Making the announcement at a Monday afternoon press conference, Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said the ban on foreign arrivals would last 14 days, confirming an earlier Post report on the measure.


All non-Hong Kong residents who arrive at the airport will be barred entry, along with anyone from mainland China, Macau and Taiwan who has a recent travel history elsewhere.


Those arriving from Macau or Taiwan directly will be allowed in, but subject to quarantine orders, as has been the case for mainland arrivals for some weeks.


Lam said the government would amend the law to forbid 8,600 restaurants, bars and clubs that hold a liquor licence to sell alcohol. But she did not give a targeted effective date.


She said the measures were vital because of the recent imported cases of infection, as she also announced tougher penalties against those who flout mandatory quarantine orders or those under home-quarantine who remove their electronic bracelet to elude detection.


The move to ban tourists comes a day after Singapore announced

 it would no longer allow short-term visitors to enter from 11.59pm on Monday, following the decision of other countries to do the same.


On Monday, the reality of how inbound travellers could threaten the citys anti-epidemic efforts hit home when a doctor tasked with screening returning travellers at Hong Kong International Airport 

was among at least 10 people to have tested preliminarily positive

 for Covid-19.


The Department of Health employee, who had been working at the airport since March 16, was being treated at Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin.


She was mainly responsible for signing quarantine orders and asking travellers questions, a source said.


It was not immediately clear how she contracted the virus. If confirmed, she could be the first doctor in Hong Kong to have been infected while working in the city.


If Mondays positive tests are confirmed, they would take the city infection tally to 327, with four deaths.


Hong Kong reported a flurry of 44 cases on Sunday, the second-highest single-day spike since the outbreak began.



All Travelers to China: Mandatory 14-day Quarantine
New policies make foreigner work permit applications easier


\n

No comments:

Post a Comment